Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Office queen bees hold back women's carrers

FORGET “jobs for the boys”. Women bosses are significantly more likely than men to discriminate against female employees, research has suggested.

The study found that when presented with applications for promotion, women were more likely than men to assess the female candidate as less qualified than the male one.

They were also prone to mark down women’s prospects for promotion and to assess them as more controlling than men in their management style.

The findings, based on experiments carried out among more than 700 people, suggest that the “queen bee syndrome” of female rivalry in the workplace may sometimes be as important as sexism in holding back women’s careers. Full story here.

Why is that? Why do you think women would be so keen on holding down other women. Are they seen as bigger threats career wise? Because I seriously doubt they believe male employees always do such a great job!

powered by performancing firefox

2 comments:

Deb Sistrunk Nelson said...

Oh, my gosh, Alina! You've just described most of my career! When I write "that book," I'm definitely going to address the office queen bees.

In the U.S., we have the "good old boys" network. I'd much rather deal with them than the queens bees. I think that it's a sad commentary that some women are so insecure, petty and, at times, mean-spirited. I just don't get it.

I can tell you one thing, though. At this stage of my life, I'd think twice before working for another female boss.

This is a very timely post. Thanks for the link to the report.

Alina said...

Well, Deb, my bos is female. And she seems nothing like this! So there is still hope. Then again, this is Romania and we tend to borrow bad habits :)

I think being insecure and mean is the main cause also. It is not a strong belief that drives them.