Tuesday, January 16, 2007

US - 51% of Women Are Living Without Spouse

"For what experts say is probably the first time, more American women are living without a husband than with one, according to a New York Times analysis of census results.

In 2005, 51 percent of women said they were living without a spouse, up from 35 percent in 1950 and 49 percent in 2000.

Coupled with the fact that in 2005 married couples became a minority of all American households for the first time, the trend could ultimately shape social and workplace policies, including the ways government and employers distribute benefits.

Several factors are driving the statistical shift. At one end of the age spectrum, women are marrying later or living with unmarried partners more often and for longer periods. At the other end, women are living longer as widows and, after a divorce, are more likely than men to delay remarriage, sometimes delighting in their newfound freedom.

In addition, marriage rates among black women remain low. Only about 30 percent of black women are living with a spouse, according to the Census Bureau, compared with about 49 percent of Hispanic women, 55 percent of non-Hispanic white women and more than 60 percent of Asian women."

Whole story here.

This is one of those pieces of news that does not surprise me at all. Why? My way of thinking I guess. In a recent conversation with a friend we were discussing how our perceptions of marriage and the right age for having a family have changed over the years.

"A few years ago, I thought that if I were not settled down by the time I turned 30, it would be a complete tragedy", she said. "Now I changed that age to 40 and it feel right." That is how I see it. Until 3o, you have time to complete your education, date enough to know yourself and your tastes, have time to dedicate to building a career and whatever else one need on an individual level. Afterwards, it's time for a relationship, not marriage necessarily, and children.

Being the child of divorced parents, I somehow came to think marriage as a mere paper. It's not the legal bond that holds a couple together. A relationship can last or not regardless of the social and legal aspect that marriage implies.

How do you feel about this percentage, about marriage in general and the basis of a family? Does anyone know of similar surveys from other countries?

Tags: women, marriage, lifestyle, family

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Marriage is wonderful - if you're married to the right guy. I'm one of the 51%. I have been single much longer than I was married. I don't live with men. I've just decided to stay single until the right man comes along. And if he doesn't, so be it.

Most people who know me well don't believe me, but I really am old-fashioned when it comes to marriage. At the same time, I believe in honesty in relationships. No games. My dad says that's why I'm not married - that I "don't know how to play the game." I'll leave the game-playing to others, thank you very much.

The information on black women surprises me. I would think the number would be higher. I wonder if the numbers would go up for all women if the term "spouse" was replaced with something like "significant other." I have a friend - a white female who is 64 - who has been living with her "significant other" for 25 years. As far as I'm concerned, they're husband and wife. They're committed to each other. They have in-laws. They just chose not to go through a marriage ceremony.

I also know a number of widows and widowers who choose to live without the benefit of marriage because for financial reasons (such as loss of benefits). Others don't marry because they don't want to deal with the uproar from their kids.

Good post! I learned some things.

Alina said...

The uproar from their kids, I know quite a few people fearing this. In such cases, i think it's also a little about being selfish.

I would also be curious to see what the numbers look like in what significant others are concerned.