Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Simply Unacceptable!

We all worry about a little unwanted comment-spam, we complain about blog stalkers that criticize everything we read, write or do. That kind of comes with blogging and can be ignored and handled quite successfully. But what happens when there is no limit? When you are treated like a mere object and you receive death threats as comments or emails? A post on Dio's Quasi Fictional brought this problem to my attention.

A female blogger, very successful one might I add, is experiencing all these. Go to her blog for more details on how such a situation affects the victim. Because in this case she actually is a victim, nothing less. It is not just some text, it is still a threat and should be treated exactly as an old school letter.

I feel rage, disgust, but helplessness is the dominant sensation. I would like to help, and there is now way for me to do that. Therefore, I can only show my support. I can actually say I understand how it feels, but only to some extent. I've had a knife held to my neck, but only for a few minutes. I have no idea how I'd handle such a prolonged experience. I think she is doing great in this situation.

6 comments:

Safiya Outlines said...

I followed your links, this is really most unpleasant. It's sad,but some sort of abuse has happened to most female bloggers, that's why we need to keep talking!

Alina said...

Yes, we need that! And write about how unfair it is, how frightening and simply unacceptable. We should not let is just pass. We should also be grateful it's not happening to us as well. I really am! But I won't be scared off! I refuse to be.

Safiya Outlines said...

I just read your post again- you had a knife held to your neck!! You sound so brave about it too! That sounds so scary!

Alina said...

I was not brave at the time. I was really scared. Although, crazy as I am, I also had time to analyze the blade an think if it would actually harm me or not and if I should try anything. Luckily, i chose not to. Actually, he asked for my phone, I gave it to him. And then he touched my necklace from my mom that I had since I was 10. I said "No, you will not get this!" and I was sure to act on it. He heard people coming, thank God, otherwise who knows?

Afterwards, I was always afraid and I still am. i don't like people walking to close behind me and I always monitor anyone around me when it's dark, although the whole thing happened in broad daylight.

nadia said...

unfortunately this is something i can relate to despite keeping as little of my private life online as possible. it's really cool though that this was picked up all over the internet and at least it started some debate. the bbc even ran a story about it.

hey, i just came here after some random clicking around.

Alina said...

Thank you for your visit Nadia! If you can relate to it, it means you have experiences something similar, am I right? The extent to which you actually went trough it is not important, you should have been spared the trouble. No one deserves anything like this.