Tuesday, March 06, 2007

What is a photo?

I am rediscovering the power of photos these days. Nothing attracts better your visitors' attention than a photo. I have to admit I have published photos quite often. They help making a story more expressive and yes, they do tend to catch the readers' eyes.

Personal photos, portraits especially, have an even greater power. I have posted a few photos of myself on my own blog several days ago. Well, it's been the third day in a row when they have been most popular links. I would like new visitors to be attracted by my blog's content, but it seems my photos do a better job.

George said once that posting a girl photo on my profile had a lot to do with new visitors. He was right, after that, I had a lot more profile views.

For the new photos, if I exclude friends who commented as they had not seen me in my new look, I am still left with way too many clicks directed to those photos.

Why is that? Why do new posts remain without comments although they bring quite interesting or important news or talk about a movie or a book or other experiences, while those photos are still commented on? Are we all so tributary to physical appearance? Does it feel the same for male photos? From George's comments, I understood it doesn't.

Anyway, this was a good exercise. My decision, not to post any other photos soon.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

that's why I found no room for me to comment on your hair look post.
Of course the images take the eye more than the content, this is something humain I think. so in my case I try to put a photo that push you to read the content more than the adress.

Alina said...

Hechkok, it's not the comments that bothered me. It's the fact that for three days, although other posts came, the photos were top links. :)

Om Luji said...

Of course it is not the same with male photos, Alina. I understand why you are upset. But that's how people are. They are more interested in your looks than they are interested in your brain. The same happens with me whenever I write something personal. (which I rarely do, unless I get tagged or anything.) The comments I get on these personal posts exceed any other, and they keep commenting even though the recent posts are about important issues that really need discussion and feedback.
You are right. But I think we can never escape the fact that female personal blogs are more attractive than those who tackle serious issues. They wanna get to know you and how you look, while your ideas tend to come second, and they only care to know them in order to know you as a person, I guess.

Alina said...

I guess you are right. About some of the readers, cause the other ones who I appreciate always leave valuable comments.