Friday, April 20, 2007

Should Aunt Irma Stop Visiting?

I thought of bringing a story published by New York Times to your attention. First, here are some (quite a few) excerpts from the article:
For many women, a birth control pill that eliminates monthly menstruation might seem a welcome milestone.

But others view their periods as fundamental symbols of fertility and health, researchers have found. Rather than loathing their periods, women evidently carry on complex love-hate relationships with them.

The Food and Drug Administration agency is expected to approve the first contraceptive pill that is designed to eliminate periods as long as a woman takes it.

The drug’s maker, Wyeth, said yesterday that it was expecting F.D.A. approval in May, but has declined to discuss its marketing plans.

The company’s research shows that nearly two-thirds of women it surveyed expressed an interest in giving up their periods. That dovetails with the findings of similar research conducted by Linda C. Andrist, a professor at MGH Institute of Health Professions in Boston.

“We don’t want to confront our bodily functions anymore,” Ms. Andrist said. “We’re too busy.” Doctors say they know of no medical reason women taking birth control pills need to have a period. The monthly bleeding that women on pills experience is not a real period, in fact.

Ms. Chesler, who teaches documentary making at the University of California, San Diego, said she became concerned about efforts to eliminate menstruation when she first heard about the idea several years ago.

“Women are not sick,” she said. “They don’t need to control their periods for 30 or 40 years.”

Eliminating menstruation is not a completely new concept. Women who take any kind of oral contraceptive do not have real periods.

Menstrual suppression may be particularly appealing to women who suffer severe pain, heavy bleeding or emotional problems during their periods. A study by Canadian researchers found that women afflicted by heavy menstrual bleeding give up $1,692 a year in lost wages.

Views about menstruation have long been mixed. Some cultures have banished menstruating women to huts or required special baths after periods. Others believed that menstruating women had special powers.

Wyeth's therapeutic director for women’s health, Dr. Ginger D. Constantine, cited company-financed research indicating that women often feel less effective at work and school during their periods. They limit sexual activity and exercise, wear dark clothes and stay home more, resulting in absenteeism, she said.
I must say I have no idea what I would choose, given the option. To be honest, before having it, I went crazy waiting for my period. Other girls around me were already talking about this issue and I felt left out and such a child. I would now said I was way too ignorant of the matter. I got it, I was happy, for about two months. Then I faced the real problems of it: impossible timing, extra care needed, all the ill-feeling sometimes associated with it. I do not have an actual PMS. But I do feel fat and ugly while it lasts.

Now I have to think of complete freedom. If using normal pills leaves me with a fake period, why keep it? Is that what makes me feel like a woman? Far from it... I think I would be more inclined to say yes to such an option, after monitoring the issue for a while (a year or so would be enough to see if any health issues arise).

What would you do in this case?

8 comments:

purvis said...

This is an interesting subject. On one hand, I'd think that disturbing anything that your body does naturally could be harmful, but if your periods are not even real when you are on the pill.... hmm... I don't have painful periods, but I have two friends whose periods are so bad, they sometimes go to the emergency room. If I were them, I wouldn't care about the consequences... If it made the painful periods go away, and my doctor said it was okay, I'd go for it.

Safiya Outlines said...

"Aunt irma" Ha ha!

I was waitning for a post about period on here, especially with it being a girly blog.

See, I don't care what they say, it's not good to interfere with your body.

This is the same school of thought as the medics who preach that hysterectomies were the cure to all problems, as women only "need that equipment for child bearing". It turned out that they were wrong, but not before thousands of women suffered.

Unknown said...

Purvis, they apparently are only fake periods caused by hormones variations. And indeed, i would take this instead of the pain. I once had so big pains I could barely walk to the pharmacy to get something. I'd take that pill if such cases.

Safiya, I guess this is a question of how bad it is. I've been recommended the normal birth control pills, along with other medicine, to get some regularity to my period and to help ease the pain. If all I have is fake ones, I am already interfering. Is there more damage I could do? Maybe, that's why I'd say no now. But if time passed and it were proven to be a safe pill to take, I doubt I would not try it.

As for Aunt Irma, after the IT Crowd episode, I could have not chosen a different name :D

Beatrice said...

Well, I would not use this new pill to interfere with my body's natural processes and stop them, who knows what it can trigger on the long run.

Although I have horrible pains and suffer of PMS since I was a teen, I believe that a "wonder pill" to eliminate what's normal would harm me more.
In the end, this monthly "visit" is something that belongs to womanhood, but it is a personal choice if we want to embrace it or not. :)

Alina said...

It is something that happens to women, but does it define womanhood? Would you take normal pills? Would you take this pill if let's say after 5 years all turns out just great for other using it? Speaking of wonder pills and wonder solutions, I guess a Riddick quote would work here. "They learn how one pain can be lessened by another" & "Let us take your pain away". The no feelings, no nothing part was just a side effect.

Beatrice said...

No it does not define womanhood, but it is strongly connected somehow, as a part of it. In the article you posted, there were interesting beliefs about period and "special powers" women can have. If you ask me, it has a connection with our sexuality although I wouldn't know any strong facts to prove my belief, I just feel that way. I guess I am just stubborn or plein wierd but I am not bothered by my "monthly visit" that much, and I will surely not take the wonder pills, even if.....:)

Alina said...

Well I dunno...To be honest, I guess I'd give it a try. I don't think it bothers me too much, but I don't think I'd miss it much either. The issue in my case would be proving it safe :)

tina_subaru said...

Hi all!

It's a very interesting discussion...

Aunt Irma has visited me today and I am at bed with my laptop after taking an ibuprofene pill.

I suffer PMS since a teenager, I have to say it's heavier in one ovary than in the other.

I took some soft pills for several years, and it worked very well.
No pain, no ups and down with my mood, just 2 or 3 days of bleeding and it came very very punctually, even at the same exact hour.
I had more freedom, at the beggining I was very very happy with those soft pills.

But some years later I gain weight
and my mood was so "stable" that I felt strange.
I mean, I was used to feel strong and sexy when I was ovulating, with my breasts tight and my temperature higher, and softer after ovulating...
And with that pills I felt always strangely calm...
I think I was maybe scared about long consequences of those pills,too.
So I decided to leave them, and my doctor said it was Ok.

My pain came again, but I felt safe.

Since then all I do is looking for a natural solution for these hormonal disorders.
Soya helps, not having stress (now I am at exams and I haven't taken soya for a month, and I have a lot of pain and I am very tired) and drinking lot of water,too.

My only "medical problem" is this PMS, I am a very healthy girl(well...I am only 25 years old)but every month I need to take 2 or 3 ibuprofen pills.
When I worked while studing I learned to live with this painb and give my maximum at my job and at the university.

So, my opinion is that it's a bit dangerous thinking like some people thinks nowadays.
When Aunt Irma visits us, we aren't ill at all.We have to take pain and try harder on all the things we make.
it is a natural thing, we are done this way, and nature is very clever.It isn't fair to work harder than men on these special days, but we are more used to pain than men.
With this thoughts we are trying to be more like men, I mean we try to make things easier for us, and we are forgetting we can make things equal than them even with our menstruation...we will be exausted at night, ok we suffer more, and I think we shouldn't suffer.
But loosing our ovulation isn't the clue.
We must received more medical control of our hormones since a teenager,because we suffer when our hormones aren't OK.
I think the medical world have to work on making ovulation more perfect.
I don't want to lose my ovulation,I want my hormones to be stable.

This remembers me about feminists fight for "giving our breast" to our children.Society must adapt to us, we musn't adapt to it.
We are done this way and we must accept it.We can do both things, being a natural woman and give what men can give.I study computer engineering and I know it by my own experience.

Sorry for my english, I am from Barcelona,Spain.